Monday 17 February 2014

More Books ,more shelves , more tackle.... i need a bigger shed !

There is a theme here : so keep  with me on this . This book by Clive Gammon follows the multi discipline , sea fishing , game and coarse fishing approach , which has influenced me in the way I fish . Its also meant that the fishing tackle industry has received most of my spare cash ever since I was about 9 years old ! Oh and the shed trade has benefitted too as my tackle collection has expanded and needed more space to accommodate it , and of course the shelving to house all those books . Which is why I am now slimming down the old collection . This one stays . Happy memories of reading this in the school library when I should have been reading Shakespeare or some other tome .The picture sequence of the " Jaws" moment when the pike float is pulled across the surface by a fish is brilliant . Also the Tope from the shore section of the book is still on my list of must do experiences . Also in the school library ( and now mine !) was this one :
Again this follows the sea , game and coarse fishing approach  but has a cracking chapter on Shark fishing . Another milestone was finally catching a shark last year , what a fantastic experience , thanks Jeff !
 
Now an all time favourite fishing book . This one by John Piper , has remained a must read for me over the last 30 years. Its content consists of John's articles from the Anglers mail in the late 60's and 70's. Again they span the whole gambit of fishing . There are some great articles: one on  eel fishing with  the great terry Coulson in the days when close season eeling was allowed on the canals with large hooks , how times have changed ,  and a chapter on freelined worm fishing for trout which inspired me to use the tactic for chub on the River Ouse ages ago . I must do that again !
The second book ....is more of the same !
 
The last couple are again books that spent more time at my house than the local library . I think I had them on permanent loan ! But having expanded my Pike fishing library, to encompass a complete shelf it has to be said that  these two contain all you need in tackle advice and tactics . Modern materials have improved but the basics are the same . If only I could go pike fishing on the rivers and put this theory  into practise . Roll on some dry weather !
 

1 comment:

  1. Great stuff Dave. I agree, wouldn't it be a fine thing to be able to pop into your local newsagent and pick up a modern day version of a magazine like 'Angling'. I guess nowadays us 'allrounders' are a rare specie.

    ReplyDelete