Wednesday 19 March 2014

The end is in sight .....

The end of the " traditional " fishing season on March 14th is a fixed point in the year for me and I like to try and get out and fish for a few days . The recent floods were looking as though they might put paid to the fishing on the rivers but a few days of dry weather saw the floods recede and the river was back in its proper place not spilling out  all over the place . So I took the week off ....

Well the car broke down , then the parts to fix it got mixed up and suffice to say I finally made it to the river on Wednesday afternoon . I joined Jeff on one of our favourite sections of the river . But despite the lovely weather , and the river looking perfect no Pike came our way .

The next day dawned with thick fog ....


I also recently bought a new pair of bib and braces , due to an incident with a barbed wire fence . Well unfortunately the same fence leapt out and grabbed me again and ripped the new trousers ! Doh

Well anyway I finally managed to catch a Pike . An 11 lb pike grabbed my deadbait . This fish is one that I have caught before at single figure weights and is easily recognised as it has a large growth on its gills .
Despite trying very hard and moving swims I did not manage another fish all day , but it was great to be out and " doing it " !

The last day again dawned cold and foggy , so I agreed with Jeff to meet him at the very top end of the stretch , which is a long walk up river . The recent floods had caused a lot of damage to the flood banks in places , exposing the earth in some places up to half way through the bank.

Again a beautiful day but no fish . Where are the fish ?

No comments:

Post a Comment