Wednesday 2 January 2013

Seasick Dave....a thing of the past ?

Well, my sea boat fishing was brought to an early end about 15 years ago when I discovered that the sea plus a fishing boat plus my  breakfast guarenteed a result ....the loss of one of the above ! Plus a great deal of misery on my part !
I used to run a sea fishing club at work .Our trips were very succesful and we made a regular excursion from Littlehampton on board the "Blue Badger" skippered by Mike Pratt  or from Brighton on the "Colinjoy" .Great fun ! We even went further a field to Deal, Langstone  and to Weymouth .
The old adage that "pride comes before a fall" springs to mind as I remember laughing at the poor sods in my party that felt seasick . Oh how I regret that now ! I fished  ( oh and laughed at sufferers of the malaise ) for about 10 years till the day out of Langstone when it happened to me. God I felt ill ! I wanted to die . Can anything be worse than that ...i doubt it ?
I then moved to various seasickness remedies :eat ginger biscuits and drink orange juice ( the polite version of this remedy is that ginger settles the stomach and orange provides vitamin C and sugar , the reality is it tastes the same going up as it did going down !)various tablets which were great in preventing seasickness but made me sleep for a solid two days after taking them ! I had to be taken home and collect the car the next day ! I even tried some bands worn round the wrist ,oh and various herbal remedies. They did not work as well as the best form of seasickness cure :don't go on the sea !
So I sold all my gear and refused to set foot on a sea fishing boat again.
Well nearly . I did go on a few trips , well you can't refuse top offers to go Bass fishing and Tope fishing can you ? I did catch but also felt dreadful enough to put me off going for a few years.
Well my good friend Jeff has a passion for all things boat shaped, his reasoning that each boat "is a compromise" has resulted in him owning a few boats ! Well the time has come to join him on "Jupiter's Moon "his newest addition to the fleet.
So I am off to a hypnotherapy session tomorrow and then its off to the deep blue ( or slightly off grey ) sea at the weekend to see what "Jupiter's Moon" is really like . Wish me luck !

3 comments:

  1. Good luck Dave!

    Proud to say I'be become your first blog follower.
    Keep it up mate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not at all surprised that the hypnotherapy worked (it did didn't it?). An 'old salt' once told me that sea sickness is all in the mind (although that's hard to believe during an episode!). This guy told me that, in all his years at sea, he had not known an infant below 2 yrs suffer and said that this is because their brains had yet to be 'programmed' in terms of what is 'normal' for horizons and earth movement. I took his advice and assured myself that what I was seeing and feeling at sea was perfectly normal......I have not suffered since.

    ReplyDelete